Search Our Sites

Custom Search

Search Results

Friday, February 20, 2009

Why buy Quality?


Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.
William A. Foster
I have always felt that it makes sense to buy quality. Perhaps I inherited this ethic from my parents, who very carefully purchased the best of things that they could find. Being the oldest of ten children, I grew up beneath the governments established poverty level guidelines. We didn't know we were poor, but I understood early in my life that when we bought things, we were buying the best quality available because we couldn't afford to buy them twice. For example, Maytag's reputation for long lasting dependability (which it no longer deserves) sold my Mom on her washer/dryer combo which lasted for eons of time. Back when the Troy Built name was synonymous with quality (which it no longer deserves either) my Dad bought the garden tiller that he still uses nearly 30 years later.

I'll never forget the day in my youth when my Dad told me, "Son, we are becoming a throw away world. You'll see the day when everything is disposable." Appreciating quality isn't just an ethic or nostalgic rejection of today's marketplace full of cheaply manufactured junk...finding and appreciating quality is my passion.

I think in times like these, buying quality makes more sense than ever. As much as we hope you will buy a new pair of glasses to match every outfit every year, we have always provided eyewear that is made to last as long as you wish it to last. Well made European or Japanese frames can last a lifetime, and there is no time limit to the scratch warranty on our lenses. Some of our patients realize very low cost for their eyewear when you compare its lasting quality over time to the frequently replaced lower quality glasses that are built to planned-obsolescence standards. Durability is its own reason for buying good craftsmanship--the benefits of the advanced technology found in premium quality lenses is the subject for another complete post.

The higher initial cost of quality may sting, but the sting shortly becomes satisfaction when the technology performs its lasting duty. Poor craftsmanship causes lingering disappointment--usually intensified by the realization that the product was dressed up to look like quality, but really was not. It reminds me of the rural wisdom found in this mock add for hay I saw in a diner once: "Hay, $200 a ton, or $5 a ton. Price depends on which end of the horse you buy it from."
--Dr. Gooch

No comments: